FAILURE IS THE MOTHER OF SUCCESS
The Importance of Failure in Learning
- The persons in this video have two things in common:
- (1) They failed.
- (2) They reacted to failure with perseverance.
- Failure allows us to identify our weaknesses and to identify the areas where we need improvement.
- Failure is therefore necessary for improvement.
To Avoid Failure is To Avoid Learning
- An experiment was conducted with two groups of freshman students at the University of Hong Kong (HKU). See Diagram.
- Both groups were reminded that success in their university required a high proficiency in English.
- Then both groups were asked how interested they would be in taking a course that was proven to increase English proficiency.
“to feel smart in the short run, they were willing to put their college careers at risk. This is how the fixed mindset makes people into nonlearners”
Professor Carol Dweck
© Louai Rahal, 2015. Designed by Louai Rahal.